Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hot Chocolate Stir Sticks!

Okay, I believe I said I would have this up Sunday. It's not Sunday. But around my house lately, Tuesday is pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure what we did Sunday, which means it got wasted (my favorite!). I woke to the sound of my husband killing zombies on his Xbox...he calls it training. At some point we must have brushed our hair and gotten dressed because we went to the Olive Garden for soup, salad, and breadsticks. <---Have I ever told you how much I love that? After eating ourselves silly, we stopped by the market and came home. At some point the husband opened me a bottle of red wine and nothing got accomplished after that.

Excuses out of the way. I finally made my hot chocolate stir sticks! I'd seen these forever ago in a magazine and then recently they were circulating around pinterest.


These are really simple to make and doesn't require a lot of direction. But since I took photos, I'm going to tell you anyway. :) I made my stir sticks to go with the hot chocolate mixes I made last week; peppermint and toffee. Then, of course, I had to make some using my homemade sugar sprinkles. So the ingredient list is kind of dependent upon your taste, but you will need:

Marshmallows
Chocolate Chips
Straws (small stir type)
Parchment paper
Toppings


First you need to grind, crush, or somehow break your candies up. What I did was crush them somewhat while they were in the package and then put them into my mortar and pestle.

*Side note* I would like to mention that I am beyond proud of myself for not eating all of the Heath bar (my Fav!). I really just wanted to....YUM!


=] Then I ground them until they were fairly small pieces and transferred everything to bowls. Sorry about the poor(er) photo quality lately, but my 'good' camera died recently. It got balanced on an uneven surface one too many times in an effort to get a photo of us. It's last recorded photo was quite hilarious though....now. It was far from funny that day.


At this point I put my chocolate chips in a pan over medium heat to start melting them. Cover a plate with parchment paper. Take your marshmallows and stick the straws into them. Don't worry, they can't feel it.


Once your chocolate is melted, just dip your marshmallows into the chocolate.



Then dip your chocolate covered marshmallow into your topping. I personally found that it was easier to pick up the topping and sprinkle it onto the chocolate marshmallow. Then I dipped the "bottom" in the topping to make sure it was covered. Once covered, simply place your decorated marshmallows onto the parchment paper covered plate.

Now, a couple of notes about the peppermint. (Of course) After I made these I saw chocolate mint candy canes at the store...OH MY GOSH!!! I should have had those. =] Also, I noticed that the peppermint pieces started to stick together after awhile. So I would suggest dipping your marshmallows in them first to avoid this issue.

Also, you don't have to use regular chocolate chips...you can use anything you want. Use your imagination and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...