Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pomegranates

I'm working on a couple of posts that include pomegranate seeds and so I wanted to insure that everyone knew how to properly get these delights out of the pomegranate! I decided to put this in it's own post so I can refer to it rather than rewriting this over and over again!!

My husband and I love pomegranate seeds. They're delicious! On salads, ice cream, in drinks, as a snack, I could keep going! But if you've attempted to get the seeds from the fruit, you're aware that it can create a huge mess. Staining your counter, clothes, and making it look like there was a battle in your kitchen. And end up with only a few seeds still in tact. Or you can do it the easy way.

All you need is a pomegranate, a knife, a bowl, and some water.

Fill a bowl with some water and slice your pomegranate in half. Place it in the water, I usually let it soak for about 5 minutes. Unless I'm short on time!


Now just set about getting the seeds removed. You can take your hands and break the pomegranate apart and simply pull the seeds out. They'll come out without much effort at all. And this way if you break any they won't stain your counters!
 

The easy part is that when you're done, any left over pieces of the membrane will float to the top while the seeds rest on the bottom.


Use a sieve or even a slotted spoon to remove them. (Sorry about the bad photo quality!) Then all you need to do is drain the water off of the pomegranate seeds and you're good to go! We love snacking on these and adding them to everything. =]


4 comments:

  1. I retrieve the little jewels this way too :) They never last long with me though, I eat them straight up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm the same. And this method makes it so much easier!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post! Not only do I not know how to get them out... I didn't know you could eat them, either! Woe is me, huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippeee! I'm so glad that you learned from my post!! =] Your blog and posts are fantastic, you are so funny. Trust me, I could tell you many stories about my own cooking experiences/knowledge that would make anyone laugh....AT me! =]

      Delete

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...